The Official Website of the Employment Department, Govt. of Kerala
The Employment Service came into existence in India under the stress of postwar demobilization. Towards the end of the Second World War, the need for a machinery which could handle orderly reabsorption of civil life, of a large number of service personnel and war workers who were about to be released as keenly felt.
In accordance with a scheme that was agreed upon by the Central and State Governments, the Directorate General of Resettlement and Employment (D.G.R.&E) was set up in July 1945 and Employment Exchanges were gradually opened in several parts of the country.
Till the end of 1946, Employment Service facilities were restricted to demobilized service personnel and discharged war workers. In 1947, consequent upon the partition of the country, the Employment Exchanges were called upon to deal with the resettlement of a large number of persons who were displaced as a result of partition.
In response to popular demands, the scope of the service was gradually extended and by early 1948, Employment Exchanges were thrown open to all categories of applicants. Thus a resettlement agency was transformed as an all India placement agency.
Based on the recommendations of the Training and Employment Services Organization Committee, headed by Sri: Shiva Rao, the daytoday administration of the organization was handed over to the State Governments with effect from 1st November 1956.
The Employment Service is now the joint concern of the Central and State Governments. The administrative control of the department is by the State Government.
To ensure the uniformity in the functioning of the Employment Exchanges all over India, the policies and procedure to be adopted in the functional activities of the Employment Exchanges are prescribed at the national level by the Director General of Employment & Training, New Delhi.
The department is called National Employment Service (Kerala)in this State.
Last Updated (Wednesday, 16 SEP 2015 11:18)